Sunday 12 March 2017

The Return of Midwifery

Georgia is filled with aches – her left shoulder, her knees, and truth be told, her heart.
Her shoulder acts up more in the winter – a mix of tightness, cold weather, and other monstrosities she is sure.  She is left-handed so she figures that contributes to it all.  Lifting up her dead microwave and dumping it in the alley certainly didn’t help things.  Her knees she figures is just an aging situation – creak, creak, creak.  She discovered the other day that she can no longer squat not that she needs or wants to.  But still, not being able to squat is a thing.
Aging is not for the young, her father was wont to say.  Her mother had taken a more practical approach – you either die or you get old, she often said.  True, Georgia thinks now. True.  She hobbles to the kitchen for half of a cinnamon bun and brings it back into the living room.  She turns on the TV.  It is time for the news. 
President Trump, says the anchorwoman, has had his prison term reduced by two years and with time served, he should be out before Christmas 2020.
“What?! thinks Georgia.  She knew he’d wiggle out of it all somehow. 
Her heart actually hurt.  Not the hurt of a heart attack, she doesn’t think, but more the hurt of a deep and abiding sadness.  There is no getting around it – Georgia misses her mom, her sister, and even her niece.  And David, she misses David.  The last time she’d talked to him he was going to break up with John-John. 
“I’m just not happy,” he told Georgia over a muffin-doughnut at the Wacko World of Coffee on W. 4th.  “I mean I love him but I don’t think I love love him anymore, you know?”
Georgia did know.  In 1987, she’d broken up with Ringo Eric Matthew (Matthew was his last name, a fact that seemed to confuse almost everyone) because in addition to his penchant for yodelling, something that had once been endearing, she found herself liking him less and less.  She loved him, the idea of him, had even entertained marrying again and taking his last name, but realized that she was more in love with love than in love with Ringo Eric Matthew.  After she dumped him, he’d taken up diving to deep depths of water without oxygen.  She’d gone to watch him once one summer afternoon out in the middle of Locarno Beach.  It was quite something to see but it also had stressed her out.  Recently she had tried to find him on Facebook and sure enough there he was, his profile picture showing a much older man with deep tan lines wearing a wetsuit.  His Facebook settings were pretty tight but she was able to see pictures of him on a horse and with a monkey.  A month later she received a friend request from him but quickly deleted it.
Georgia likes Etheline well enough but ever since Etheline had taken up ping pong, she had hardly been around.  Georgia enjoyed her alone time but somehow, it has been becoming a bit too much.
“In other news,” the anchorwoman said, “President Pence has denied responsibility for a wall being built between Winnipeg and Minot, North Dakota.”
Georgia stares at the TV.  She realizes that she wants there to be a wall separating Canada and the U.S.  That would be fine, she thinks.  That would suit me well.
She wonders if David might like to move back in.  It would be a bit of a squeeze, sure, but he could have a bed in her closet or sleep in the living room.  She doesn’t know if John-John will move out of their downtown apartment or David will.  She feels herself begin to smile and feels a bit lighter.  She opens her laptop and heads over to David’s page on Facebook.  She scrolls down. 
“Anyone looking for a roommate?” is his latest status. “Hit me up.”
La la la la la, Georgia thinks.  La la la!
She takes out her phone and dials his cell.
“Hey, Georgia,” David says.  “How’s it going?”
“Hi, David.  Hi, hi.  Hi.  Hi.  Look, I was just looking at your Facebook page.  Are you still looking to be a roommate?”
“Kind of, yeah.  I’ve looked at a few places but they’ve been expensive.  I need to move out before the 1st of next month.”
“Well, gee, David, would you like to maybe move back in here?  I mean I have Etheline here but she is hardly ever here and it would be cheap for all of us.  And you know we can squish so many more people in here!”
“Really?” says David. “But you had told me that you were enjoying the quiet.  Something about never again with so many roommates.”
“Well, yeah, I did feel that way for a while.  But now I’m kind of, I don’t know, lonely.  You could sleep in the living room or you could sleep in my closet like my niece did.”
“Oh, well.  Let me think.  Well, maybe, yeah why not.  I don’t have much furniture really and your place is closer to my work.”
“Yes!  Much closer to your doula office.  And the SkyTrain so close too.”
“Hmmm.  This might work out!  I have kind of missed you too.”
“Great!  I can’t imagine that Etheline will mind but I will check.  She’d love the cheaper rent and as I say she’s not here very often.  I will ask her when she gets home tonight and get back to you.”
“Perfect, Georgia.  And I promise I won’t use my saw after 10 pm like I used to!”
“Well, okay then.  That settles it I think.”
“Hurray!” says David.
“Hurrah!” says Georgia.
That evening, Etheline puts a kibosh on the whole thing.
“I think it would be a bit too squishy, Georgia.”
“Not really. You are never here and David would probably be in my closet or else reading quietly out here.  He takes quick showers and is quite neat really.  He’ll do our dishes usually.”
“Oh?” says Etheline, her interest peaked.
“Yes, yes,” says Georgia, “And he’ll do yoga with you too.  He actually likes that kind of a thing.  He also knows CPR.”
“Oh?” says Etheline.
Georgia is sensing that Etheline is softening.
“He makes a mean trifle with soy beans.  It is really, really good.”
“Does he now?”
“He does now and in the future.  He is very generous food wise. And I promise – we won’t feel squished at all.  I’ve lived in this basement suite with up to six people in the past.  Now that was squishy.  David is quite compact.  Look, how about we just try it out for a month or two?  He’d be paying some of the rent so that would be so helpful, especially since your work has decreased and your ping pong tournaments have been increasing so dramatically.”
“Yes, at my level of play things do start to get a bit pricy tournament wise.”
“Exactly.”



No comments:

Post a Comment